Becky's Cornbread Stuffing | Traditional Thanksgiving Recipe | Stuffing Recipe
Yield: Makes 6 servings
• 1 9" skillet or about 6 cups of cornbread
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
• 4 cups chopped onions
• 4 cups chopped unpeeled pink lady apples (about 2 large)
• 2 cups chopped celery with leaves
• 12 dried flavor king pluots, chopped (about ounces)
• 12 dried peach halves, chopped (about 2 ounces)
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
• 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
• 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoon dried thyme or 2t fresh
• 1 cup water broth
• ¼ cup of parsley, minced
• 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
• 1 italian sausage, chopped
The night before, cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes. Place on baking sheet; let dry overnight.
Soak dried peaches and pluots in water overnight or until soft enough to chop.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Butter 13x9x2-inch casserole or baking dish.
Melt butter in skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
Brown sausage in sauté pan. Sauté onions in hot butter until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add apples and celery. Sauté until celery begins to soften, about 7 minutes.
Combine contents of skillet with pluots, peaches, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, cayenne and thyme in a large bowl; toss.
Add cornbread cubes and parsley and toss until combined. Scrape stuffing to buttered casserole or baking dish.
Adjust salt and pepper, pour broth over.
If stuffing in turkey let cool completely before adding to cavity. Otherwise, bake uncovered until top begins to form crust, about 40 minutes.