- 1 cup of Frog Hollow White Sonora Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp of kosher salt
- 1 cup of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tsp of grated orange or lemon and more for garnish
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla
- High-temperature neutral oil, for frying (like avocado, peanut, canola, sunflower, or sesame oil)
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and kosher salt. In another mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta, eggs, sugar, zest, and vanilla. Gently fold the ricotta mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium flame until a deep-frying thermometer registers 350 degrees.
Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet pan.
Working in batches, drop a heaping spoon tablespoon of dough into the oil (we used a small ice cream scooper). Cook, turning them periodically until puffed and golden brown in color, 3-4 minutes a batch.
Transfer to the rack using a slotted spoon. Allow them to cool for a few minutes. Garnish with powdered sugar and more zest. Serve at once.