- 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. of quality olive oil
- 2 Pink Lady apples cut into medium-sized chunks, with skin and seeds removed
- 1-2 butternut squashes cut into medium-sized chunks, with skin and seeds removed
- 5 cups of water, and with more to thin out soup
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp of coriander
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- ½ tsp of red pepper flakes
Add the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté until you add some color to the onions, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, lower the temperature to low, and sweat the onions for about 40 minutes.
Turn the heat to high and add the squash and apple chunks to the soup with 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Place a lid on the saucepan and cook for an additional 45 minutes. Allow the soup to cool for 30 minutes.
Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth, and return to the saucepan. Heat over low, thinning with more water if necessary. To serve, ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with drizzling of olive oil or cream.