These early-season organic navel oranges are vibrant and sweet! Believed to be a cross between the Washington navel and the Brazilian Bahia navel, these oranges are seedless with low acidity. They are easy to separate from the rind, and are known to have subtle flavors of cherry, rose and blackberry. We partner with other local, organic producers to bring you fresh, rejuvenating citrus.
Fruit: Naval Orange
Variety: Cara Cara
Grown: Porterville, California
Farm: Homegrown Organic Farm
What Are They?The Cara cara navel, or red-fleshed navel orange is an early-to-midseason navel orange believed to have developed as a cross between the Washington navel and the Brazilian Bahia navel
Origins/History: Discovered at the Hacienda Caracara in Valencia, Venezuela in 1976, the parentage is apparently uncertain enough to occasionally warrant the distinction of a mutation, with only the tree on which it was found—the Washington navel—being an accepted progenitor.
Nutritional Value: Cara Cara oranges are a good source for vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, potassium, protein and the caroteniod, lycopene, which gives them their pink color.
How to cut/peel: Easy to peel and the membranes separate easily.
Serving Suggestions: Cara Cara oranges are an ideal balance of sweetness and acidity, making them suitable for fresh eating, juices, jams, sauces, baking and used in pan sauces. Use in savory or sweet preparations, pair with avocados, lettuces, nuts, bacon, other citruses, tropical fruits, fresh herbs, strong and aged cheeses, grains, seafood and poultry. Use Cara Cara juice in curds, cocktails, vinaigrette and syrups. Cara Cara oranges will keep up to two weeks, refrigerated. Cara Cara juice can be frozen in an airtight container for up to six months.
- 3lbs = Approx. 4-6 oranges
- 5lbs = Approx. 9-12 oranges
- 10lbs = Approx. 20-24 oranges
- With standard shipping, this item ships Monday through Wednesday for delivery within two to three business days.
- For more information on our Shipping Deadlines, visit: http://www.froghollow.com/pages/shipping-info
- Shipping is not available to PO Box addresses.
- We do not ship C.O.D. and we do not require a signature for a package to be left unless requested.
- Free local pick-up is only available to residents of Brentwood (Northern California) and neighboring towns who would like to pick-up from the farm in person. For more information, click here.
Ordering multiples or corporate gifts? Give us a call at 888-779-4511 and we can help.