Smashed Persian Cucumbers with Frog Hollow Brooks and Rainier Cherries, Fried Halloumi Cheese and Sorrel
If you can’t find sorrel, feel free to use, cilantro, basil, tarragon, chives or mint. They all would work well in this dish.
- 4 Persian cucumbers, smashed under a towel (we used a small sauce pan)
- 10 Brooks cherries, with seeds removed and cut in to quarters
- 10 Rainier cherries, with seeds removed and cut in to quarters
- 4 Sorrel leaves, sliced thin
- 1 package of Halloumi (about 8 ounces), cut into cubes and fried in olive oil or butter until golden brown
- Frog Hollow Farm extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- Lemon zest to taste
- Honey to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, honey and season to taste.
- Place the cucumbers, cherries, the sautéed halloumi, and a chilled serve bowl or plate.
- Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with the dressing and garnish with the ribbons of sorrel.
- *Cucumbers can take on a fairly good amount of salt. Be sure to taste your dish and correct for seasoning.
Recipe submitted by Mario Hernandez of The Order of The Fat Tongue.