Being here in the Bay Area we are treated to some of the very best food in the world and we are excited to share with you two of our favorites. Our freshly pressed 2022 harvest Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some of the world’s best bread from our friends at Acme Bread. Great bread with great olive oil is one of the simple joys of life.
Freshly pressed oil is called Olio Nuovo, or "new oil," and is prized for its vivid flavor and potent polyphenols. Olio Nuovo is to be enjoyed quickly to savor the heightened flavor of the fresh press.
The Acme Bread Edible Schoolyard loaf is a 100% whole-grain bread, developed with Alice Waters of Chez Panisse to pay homage to her Edible Schoolyard project at King Middle School in Berkeley. This loaf expresses the values of the Edible Schoolyard, being nutritious and simple made with local ingredients. Deep flavorful and sturdy crust, light interior crumb, malty sweet, spongy texture with a wonderful wheaty quality that invites quality butter and yet does not need it to stand on its own.
The Hella Wet Levain is a high-water content loaf with a distinctive nuttiness and unique whole wheat sourdough flavor. With its black and brown sesame seeds, it is well suited for breakfast toast, sandwiches, grilled cheese, fondue, or to be enjoyed alone with a healthy amount of olive oil.
- 1 500ml bottle of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 loaf Acme Edible Schoolyard
- 1 loaf Acme Hella Wet Levain
- To eat right away: Let it sit at room temperature to defrost for 3-4 hours. Don't be tempted to microwave your bread to defrost, as this dries it out and makes it rubbery!
- To keep frozen: Keep it in its paper bag and put it in another zip-locked plastic bag in your freezer for up to a month.
- To freeze in slices: Let defrost for 3-4 hours (or as soon as you can get a bread knife through it) and slice to desired thickness. Freeze slices separately (to keep from sticking together) then follow steps above.
- To defrost after freezing: Take out of freezer, keep in its wrappings, and let it defrost at room temp for at least 4 hours or overnight. Slices will thaw out much faster—in about a half-hour.
- To serve the bread warm after defrosting, wrap your bread in parchment paper and foil and place it in an oven heated to 400 degrees for 3 or 4 minutes.