Sold Out - Will be available January 2020
Our Tarocco Blood Oranges are sweet and juicy. Their distinctive flesh can range from streaked pink to the deep red color blood oranges are known for. Equally good for juicing or for eating out of hand, we particularly love them sliced over crisp bitter greens drizzled with our own Frog Hollow olive oil.
Fruit: Blood Orange
Grown: Brentwood, California
What Are They? The blood orange is a natural mutation of the orange, which is itself a hybrid, probably between the pomelo and the tangerine.
Origins/History: Blood oranges may have originated in the southern Mediterranean, where they have been grown since the 18th century. They are now the primary orange grown in Italy. The anthocyanins which give the orange its distinct maroon color will only develop when temperatures are low at night, as during the Mediterranean fall and winter. Blood oranges cultivated in the United States are in season from December to March (Texas), and from November to May (California).
Nutritional Value: Blood oranges' red pigment anthocyanin is an antioxidant. Blood oranges are a source of vitamin C like all citrus fruits. Oranges can also be a valuable source of folate, calcium, and thiamine.
How to cut/peel: Blood orange can be difficult to peel by hand. With a sharp knife, follow the outer perimeter of the citrus to cut off the skin and the thin layer of pith in strips until the skin is removed from the entire citrus.
Serving Suggestions: Eaten out of hand, in salads, desserts, juices, and savory applications.
- 3lbs = Approx. 4-6 oranges
- 5lbs = Approx. 9-12 oranges
- 10lbs = Approx. 20-24 oranges
- With standard shipping, this item ships Monday through Wednesday for delivery within two to three business days.
- For more information on our Shipping Deadlines, visit: http://www.froghollow.com/pages/shipping-info
- Shipping is not available to PO Box addresses.
- We do not ship C.O.D. and we do not require a signature for a package to be left unless requested.
Ordering multiples or corporate gifts? Give us a call at 888-779-4511 and we can help.