Meyer Lemons are gaining in popularity each year in no small thanks to celebrity chefs who love their distinct flavor. A cross between a citron & mandarin, these beautiful, fragrant lemons are naturally more sweet and with less acid than the regular lemon varieties that tend to populate grocery store shelves. We specially picked the Meyer lemon for our lemon marmalade to offer a less-bitter and incredibly delicious spread.
Grown: Brentwood, California
What Are They? A hybrid citrus fruit native to China. It is a cross between a citron and a mandarin/pomelo hybrid distinct from the common or bitter oranges.
Origins/History: It was introduced to the United States in 1908 as S.P.I. #23028 by the agricultural explorer Frank Nicholas Meyer, an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture who collected a sample of the plant on a trip to China. The Meyer lemon is commonly grown in China in garden pots as an ornamental tree. It became popular as a food item in the United States after being rediscovered by chefs such as Alice Waters at Chez Panisse during the rise of California Cuisine starting in the 1970s. Popularity further climbed when Martha Stewart began featuring them in her recipes.
Nutritional Value: Lemons are rich in vitamin C and low in calories and carbohydrate. One whole lemon contains a mere 17 calories, 1.6 g fiber, and 50 percent of your daily needs of vitamin C.
How to cut/peel: Use a zester to remove the skin and citrus press for the juice.
Serving Suggestions: Juice may be used in varieties of ways and the zest can be added in savory and sweet dishes. You may also, use the entire fruit by packing it in salt.
- 3lbs = Approx. 8-10 lemons
- 5lbs = Approx. 12-15 lemons
- 10lbs = Approx. 20-23 lemons
- With standard shipping, this item ships Monday through Wednesday for delivery within two to three business days.
- For more information on our Shipping Deadlines, visit: http://www.froghollow.com/pages/shipping-info
- Shipping is not available to PO Box addresses.
- We do not ship C.O.D. and we do not require a signature for a package to be left unless requested.
Ordering multiples or corporate gifts? Give us a call at 888-779-4511 and we can help.