Peaches and pizza? Why not! Here's a pizza recipe with Frog Hollow Farm peaches contributed by our former culinary coordinator and chef Anna Buss.
- 2 medium sized tomatoes: grated and strained
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, torn or cut into slices
- 1 peach, sliced into thin crescents (with mandolin, or a sharp chef’s knife)
- ½ small purple onion, sliced into rings (with mandolin or sharp chef’s knife)
- 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar of Modena
- ½ garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 sprigs of basil, leaves torn
Prepare pizza dough:
You may use the recipe available at: https://foodforhealth.kaiserpermanente.org/recipes/homemade-pizza-crust/
- Preheat oven with pizza stone (if you have one)
- Parbake 12”x 14” dough on pizza stone and bake for 5 minutes.
*This is not part of the pizza dough recipe, but I like to par-bake the dough because it’s easier to transfer the pizza to the oven.
Prepare ingredients Mise en place “everything in its place”:
- Slice tomatoes in half and grate flesh side with large holes of a cheese grater.
- Strain extra liquid through a sieve.
- Add a tsp of olive oil, minced garlic, and dash of salt to the tomato pulp, mix ingredients together and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the onion rings and balsamic vinegar and set aside.
Build your pizza:
- Cover the parbaked dough with the tomato pulp.
- Layer on the fresh mozzarella.
- Then arrange the vinegar-soaked onion rings over the cheese.
- Finish by decorating the pizza with peach crescents.
- Bake according to pizza dough instructions, (as a visual the cheese should brown a little and the crust should be golden.)
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil, coarse sea salt and pepper, and a little fresh extra virgin olive oil.