The most anticipated time of year has finally arrived as we are at the peak of summer and our peaches ripen off the trees. In this peach cobbler recipe, Chef Becky uses her signature almond torte as the crust to compliment the flavor of the peaches. This is the perfect dessert to bring to a gathering. Serve it with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate experience.
- 4 oz butter
- 1/2c sugar + 2 Tablespoons
- 3 1/2 oz almond paste (half a 7 oz log)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2c flour
- 3/4t Baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Optional: ½ cup sliced almonds and powdered sugar
- 3 lb peaches washed, pit removed and cut into quarters (peeling is optional, rub with a damp cloth to remove fuzz if leaving unpeeled)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- Optional: kirsch (cherry brandy)
In a large bowl, combine the fruit, sugar and flour with a splash of kirsch. Pour the fruit mixture into a 12x9 Casserole or Pyrex baking dish and set aside.
- For the topping, blend the all purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and the ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a food processor, mix the almond paste and the 2 Tablespoons sugar together until it resembles a course meal.
- Add the almond paste sugar mixture to the butter mixture mix at medium speed until well incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time at high speed, stopping to scrape down the sides between each addition. It may look curdled. Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mix just until blended. Take off the mixture and with a rubber spatula, scrape down the side and fold batter briefly.
- With an ice cream scooper or 2 large spoons, place scoops of batter evenly over the fruit filling. With a back of a spoon or an off-set spatula spread the batter over the fruit mixture. The batter will even out as it bakes. Sprinkle the almonds over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; until the peach filling is bubbling around the edges and the cobbler top in the center bounces back when depressed with your finger.
- Let sit for 20 minutes then, serve warm with vanilla ice cream or lightly whipped cream.