Frog Hollow Farm is celebrating National Peach Ice Cream Day with this beautiful recipe by Chef Anna Buss. Go on! Try it at home.
SERVES 6 – 8
1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
2 egg yolks
1 1⁄4 cups sugar
1 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
1 pint ripe peaches, chopped, with peel on
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
1. Combine peaches, 1⁄2 cup of sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, pour milk into a saucepan and gently simmer over medium heat.
3. Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a mixing bowl. Lightly whisk 1/4 cup of the hot milk into egg mixture, then whisk egg mixture into remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of a spoon, about 15 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl; stir in 1 1/4 cups heavy cream; refrigerate until cold.
5. Stir Peaches into cream base. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions. Just before mixture is set, add peaches.
- Recipe submitted by Chef Anna Buss, Culinary Coordinator, Frog Hollow Farm