Brighten up your winter table with this Sicilian inspired salad that is both sweet and flavorful.
Makes 4 servings
- 3 Cara Cara oranges, skin removes with a knife and cut into 1/8 thick slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, de-stemmed, cored and sliced thin using a mandolin (reserve some fennel fronds for garnish)
- 1 small red onion, skin removed, sliced thin using a mandolin, and macerated in vinegar and salt for 10 minutes
- 10 mint leaves
- ¼ of minced cured black olives (about a dozen)
- Shaving of medium aged sheep’s milk cheese to taste
- Olio Nuovo to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Layer the ingredients on a large serving platter. Season and dress to taste. Garnish with cured olives fennel fronds, mint leaves and shavings of cheese. Serve at once.