This recipe produces two large size flat breads
- 1 ¼ cups warm water
- 1 ¼ ounce package active dry yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups “00″ Flour (00 flour produces a great crust with a crackly-thin layer of crispness, a nice open and airy hole structure, and just a modicum of chew)
- ½ cup rye flour (for added flavor)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (set aside more olive oil to top the dish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 pound of Teleme cheese
- 2 Organic Pluots (quartered)
- ½ cup whole walnuts
- 12 sliced rings of onions
- 12 leaves of basil
In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt. In a small mixing bowl, stir together (about 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, and then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined (approximately 3 minutes) and then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature, or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for flat bread.)
To make flat bread, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares.
Toss the pluots, walnuts and onions in a mixing bowl. Dress with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss gently with your hands to coat. Top the flat bread with the dressed ingredients, Teleme cheese, olive oil ,salt & pepper and place on top of a well-oiled flat pan.Cook at 350 degrees until the pizza achieves desired crispness.
Garnish with basil and a shaving of Parmigiano Reggiano