Makes 12 servings
- Unsalted butter (for pan)
- ½ cup granulated sugar, plus more for pan
- Plums, cut into quarter wedges
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
MethodPreheat the oven to 400°. Butter a 2-qt. baking dish, then dust with granulated sugar. Arrange plums in a dish.
Pulse eggs and remaining ¾ cup granulated sugar in a food processor to combine. With the motor running, stream in half-and-half, anise liqueur, if using, and vanilla.
Add flour and salt and pulse to combine. Let the custard sit for 10 minutes, then pour over the plums.
Bake pudding for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue to bake until custard is golden and set, 20–25 minutes longer. Let cool slightly, then dust with powdered sugar.