- 4 tablespoons/56 grams butter, melted, plus more for the dish
- 5 Fuyu persimmons (about 2 1/4 pounds), trimmed and chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups/400 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon/8 grams baking soda
- 1 cup/240 milliliters buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups/190 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons/12 grams baking powder
- 1 cup/240 milliliters heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon/ 1 1/2 grams salt
- ½ teaspoon/3 milliliters vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
Heat oven to 325 degrees and butter a 2-quart baking dish. Purée persimmons in a food processor or blender until smooth. Strain pulp through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, using the back of a spoon or a spatula to push purée through. Measure out 2 cups of pulp (discard remaining pulp).
Combine eggs, sugar and persimmon pulp in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. Stir baking soda into buttermilk, then add to persimmon mixture and beat to combine.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Beat flour mixture into persimmon mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the cream, beginning and ending with the flour.
Stir in melted butter, salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Transfer batter to prepared dish and bake until pudding is set, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.