This simple fall pizza is great as the days get shorter, and you're looking for a simple and quick meal. It's both savory and sweet thanks to fresh fall fruits like pears and pomegranates.
Makes 2 Flatbread pizzas.
- 1 Warren pears, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 Tbs. of pomegranates seeds
- 3 Large red onions, sliced thin
- 3 Tbs. of quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. of Miss BeeHaven Frog Hollow Peach Orchard honey
- 3 Tbs. of unsalted butter
- 2 Lavash flatbread
- ½ Cup of shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
- A handful of Arugula for garnish
- 1 Tbs. of quality olive oil for brushing
- 8 Ounces of Italian fontina cheese
- Frog Hollow Olio Nuovo to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large, heavy bottomed sauté pan, place the sliced onions and season to taste. Sauté at medium heat for 40 minutes, watch over the onions and stirring occasionally (if the onions start to stick to the pan, just splash a little water and deglaze the pan.) Add honey, the balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 10 or so minutes. After the onions are cooked to the desired doneness, set aside and allow it to cool slightly.
Lightly brush lavash front and back with olive oil. Put lavash in the oven on a baking sheet until the first side of the bread is a little crispy.
Take out lavash and prepare pizza. Add the caramelized onions and the fontina cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted and the lavash has browned slightly about 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove the lavash from the oven and top with the Warren pears, pomegranate seeds, Parmigiano, arugula and season to taste. Dress with olio nuovo and serve at once.