Here's a gourmet preparation for your good old-fashioned bruschetta. Frog Hollow Farm's Warren pear and Gorgonzola cheese will lend just the right flavor.
4 slices ACME levain or pugliese or sour batard
2 small ripe Warren pears
4 oz gorgonzola cheese or “bleu castello”
Extra virgin olive oil
- With a pastry brush, brush both sides of the bread with the olive oil.
- Grill the bread on each side over medium hot coals until there are visible grill marks and bread is light brown. If toasting in the oven, brush each side of bread lightly with olive oil, lay on a sheet pan and bake in convection oven at 325° for 5-10 minutes or golden color.
- Remove pan from oven turn each slice of bread over, and repeat.
- Remove from the grill or oven.
- Spread the cheese evenly over each slice of bread.
- Slice pear down the middle vertically. Remove center, stem and blossom end.
- Lay each cut side down and slice into ¼ inch slices.
- Fan out each half pear on each slice of bread and serve immediately.
*This can also be toasted in a toaster. Toast the bread and add a drizzle of olive oil before for add the cheese and pear.